Presbytery Council serves as the board of directors for the presbytery corporation with the authority of a commission of the presbytery. Presbytery Assembly Moderator, Vice Moderator, Council Moderator and Stated Clerk also serve as officers of the corporation. Council voting members are elected by the Presbytery Assembly and include the officers, moderators of standing committees and commissions, ministry teams and six at-large ruling or teaching elders. Ex-officio members include the Visioning & Connecting Leader and other staff, representatives from Synod and GA Commissioners, moderators of administrative commissions, invited liaisons, and appointed Council committee moderators.
Council’s work focuses on coordinating the mission and ministry of Presbytery of Wabash Valley in accord with:
Nourished by the living waters of Jesus Christ, we awaken, enliven, and enhance worshipping communities to courageously extend their branches and bear new fruit in the Spirit.
- We shall be governed and guided by the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (USA), these Bylaws, the standing rules, and the manuals of operation for the Presbytery of Wabash Valley, which shall contain policies and procedures adopted by the Presbytery. In cases of conflict, the documents shall govern in the order named.
- The Spirit of Transformation. We remain open to God’s Spirit of Transformation as we continually work at achieving God’s mission for our presbytery and the world.
- The Spirit of Stewardship. We are committed to God’s Spirit of Stewardship as we generously use the resources of time, talent and possessions that God has entrusted to us as individuals and as a community of faith.
- All individuals acting in the ministry and mission of the presbytery shall act for the best interest of the presbytery and disclose any personal interests potentially adverse to the Presbytery.
- All meetings relating to the mission and ministry of the Presbytery shall allow for deliberative discussion before making decisions.
- For reasons of community discernment and unity of the body, business shall only be conducted when a quorum is present.
Among the responsibilities of Council:
- Propose missional priorities and goals each year to the first meeting of the Presbytery Assembly.
- Oversee and ensure the coordination of the committees, ministry teams, commissions and ministry groups of the Presbytery in meeting the missional priorities and goals.
- Make recommendations for communications with other governing bodies when necessary.
- Administer finances and property of the Presbytery.